Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Why Crossfit? ~Brittany Kopp

In the weeks leading up to my 5th consecutive Regional competition, I searched for a reason why I put myself through all of this grueling training for one weekend. I wondered, when I would be satisfied enough to retire? I thought, maybe if I just could have one perfectly executed competition, then I’d be happy. I figured I just kept competing to see what I could do with a perfect weekend, or “realize my potential.”

As the week leading up to Regionals approached, I caught a nasty flu-like sickness. I was in bed for 2 days. I started to really worry that my perfect weekend was going to evade me. I recovered mostly in time to compete, but was still concerned I wouldn’t be perfect because I had been sick.

Immediately after finishing my weekend of competition at the Central Super Regional, I was consumed by frustration and disappointment. I failed repeatedly on the 175lb clean, the final rep of the entire weekend. I never missed it in training, failing never even crossed my mind. I totally blew a top 5 event finish, maybe even an event win. I had never won an event at Regionals, it would have been so awesome. Maybe that would have been my perfect moment that I was looking for, and I let it slip away.

In the middle of feeling sorry for myself, I watched the final heat of the Central Regional. I watched some of the top girls fail their muscle-ups and cleans.  I watched Julie Foucher complete her muscle-ups in a boot, knowing she could not perform any cleans and that she likely wasn’t going on to the Games in the last season of her career. But she was still smiling and supporting all of the other competitors and everyone was cheering for her. Then the Crossfit community really taught me a big lesson. Competing in Crossfit is not about winning or perfectly executing everything. It’s about learning to overcome.


To get through the Regional weekend I overcame injuries, sickness, tears, self-doubt, stress, soreness, rope burns, and so much more.  I did not have the perfect weekend but I found my perfect purpose for doing Crossfit. When I do Crossfit, I feel like I can overcome anything. The training I put in every day at the gym doesn’t guarantee that I’m going to be perfect come game-time. And my training isn’t a sacrifice that I make in order to have some big payoff. My training teaches me that I can overcome anything in life, even if the outcome isn’t perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment